Michael specialises in patents, designs, copyright and related intellectual property law for industrial design. Michael is involved in securing patent protection for Australasian manufacturers, and securing Australasian protection for overseas clients.
Michael also works with manufacturing, processing and packaging equipment particularly in the food and engineering industries.
- advises on patentability and design registrability
- conducts infringement and freedom to operate assessments
- conducts patent and design searches
- prepares and prosecutes patent applications, both locally and internationally
- advises on copyright in industrial design, including enforcement
- conducts patent portfolio due diligence and intellectual property audits
- advises on matters relating to international product commercialisation.
We have built a strong relationship with AJ Park over the years and they have become part of our design process...
Paul Wilkinson, Joint General Manager, Formway Design
Michael works for leading Australasian and overseas innovators. His clients include:
- Formway Design Studio
- University of Otago
- University of Canterbury
- Shuttleworth Axial Motor Company Limited
- Hamilton Jet.
In 2015, Michael was listed as one of the world's leading patent professionals in the
IAM Patent 1000 index, based on peer and client reviews, and is quoted as being 'an authority on designs' and a 'touchstone lawyer for those in the food and engineering sectors'.
Formway Design Studio is an internationally respected designer of high performance furniture.
Protecting the ability to commercialise its developments is crucial for HamiltonJet, a Christchurch-based company that’s competing with some of the world’s most well-known engineering giants.