AJ Park Law Limited, Wellington
Penny has over 25 years’ experience as a commercial intellectual property lawyer, advising on trade marks, copyright, trade secrets and related commercial agreements.
Penny is a commercial intellectual property lawyer in Australia and New Zealand. She has practised for more than 25 years and is a registered patent attorney in both countries.
Penny enjoys interacting with her local and international clients and getting to know their business issues. She is passionate about maximising the value of her clients’ intangible assets.
Penny has worked for clients in a number of industries, including dairy, food and beverage, wine, education, fashion, energy and FMCG among others. She currently acts for successful local companies Z Energy and Westland Milk Products, as well as international companies Harley-Davidson and Novartis, and Australian fashion designer Collette Dinnigan.
Penny is a past President of the New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys (NZIPA). Before joining Baldwins (now AJ Park), Penny worked for 11 years (four of those as a partner) at full-service law firm Kensington Swan, where she headed up the intellectual property team. Penny started her career at AJ Park.
Penny’s recent industry accolades include being:
- ranked as a trade mark star in New Zealand in Managing IP's IP Stars 2020
- named by Managing IP as one of the Top 250 Women in IP 2020
- highlighted in World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 2020 for prosecution and strategy
- selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2021 in the field of IP law
- recognised by her peers as being amongst the world’s best and brightest IP practitioners in the WIPR Leaders 2020 handbook
- listed in The Legal 500’s Asia Pacific 2020 guide as a ‘leading individual’
- named a global leader for trade marks by Who’s Who Legal 2020.
Penny loves fashion and design and recently completed a beach house renovation project. She enjoys a “big, rich and buttery” Californian chardonnay and the network of colleagues and friends she has established around the world as a result of practising in this field of the law.
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington (1989)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)