AJ Park Law Limited, Auckland
Wes specialises in the development and commercialisation of patent and registered design portfolios.
Wes works primarily in patents and also advises on copyright and registered design protection. He specialises in drafting patent specifications, providing validity and infringement advice, preparing license and other technology transfer agreements, and advising on intellectual property portfolio management and IP strategy.
Wes has technical expertise in the electrical, electronics, communications and software fields. His electrical engineering degree studies also involved courses in mechanical and structural engineering subjects.
Wes’ clients include Phitek Systems in the aviation industry and Auckland UniServices, the commercial arm of New Zealand’s largest university. UniServices is a world leader in the development of contactless power transfer technologies, particularly wireless vehicle charging.
Wes first practiced in the intellectual property field in 1989. He joined Baldwins (now AJ Park) in 2002 and became a partner of the firm in 2006. He led the Baldwins partnership as Chairman from 2015, and joined the AJ Park board when AJ Park acquired Baldwins in 2020.
Wes’ recent industry accolades include being:
- highlighted in the IAM Patent 1000 2020
- ranked as a patent star in New Zealand in Managing IP's IP Stars 2020/21
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2021 in the field of IP law
- listed in The Legal 500’s Asia Pacific 2020 guide as a ‘leading individual’
- named a global leader for patents by Who’s Who Legal 2020.
- BE (Elec) (Hons), University of Auckland (1988)
- LLB, University of Auckland (2000)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Qualified Trust Account Supervisor