Expressions of Interest: Associate - Patents
Date posted: 9/11/2023
Associates provide AJ Park clients with outstanding client care, by navigating the best path to protect, commercialise, enforce, and defend their IP rights.
In the disciplines of engineering or ICT you work with clients to assess their invention proposals, advise as to patentability and IP strategy, whether third party rights may be relevant, and prepare, file and prosecute patent applications in New Zealand, Australia and internationally.
- Takes responsibility for client/associate work with reducing supervision
- Assesses an invention and advises clients on patentability and whether third party rights may be relevant
- Prepares, files and prosecutes patent applications in NZ, Australia and internationally
- Advises on infringement and validity
- Drafts patent specifications to a high standard of succinctness and sophistication
- Drafts clear and concise correspondence
- Demonstrates a high level of advocacy in writing against prior art
- Assists with high level strategic and contentious advice
- Meets financial targets – day book, WIP, debtors, billable and non-billable hours
- Manages client relationships
- Proactively lives the AJ Park Values
- Participates in initiatives within the team and across the firm
- Provides guidance to junior and support team members
Business Development & Marketing
- Demonstrates an active interest in clients’ business interests and the macroeconomy.
- Actively participates in building the AJ Park profile, through LinkedIn and other platforms
- Participates in marketing, networking and promoting AJ Park externally
- Attends in-house and off-site seminars
- Keeps up to date and shares knowledge of developments in the IP field
- Member of relevant professional organisation as appropriate
- Undertakes any other duties as reasonably required
In order to be successful in this role you will have:
- Trans-Tasman, UK, EP and/or US patent attorney registration
- 2+ years post-qualification experience
- Bachelor’s degree or post-graduate degree in engineering, mechatronics, ICT
- Patent opposition or litigation experience
- A high level of skill in advocacy/writing against prior art
- Exceptional organisational skills including an ability to multi-task, prioritise and meet competing deadlines
What’s in it for you?
Being part of a dynamic and inclusive team where you will gain fantastic experience and career development. We are not your typical law firm – we dress for our day, have a flat structure and collegial vibe where bringing your whole self to work is at the heart of who we are. We offer competitive remuneration along with benefits as follows:
- Medical insurance
- BYOD allowance
- Paid parental leave of up to 18 weeks plus 3 weeks partner leave
- Leave purchase scheme (up to 2 weeks)
- Structured wellness programme, including a paid Wellness Benefit
- Flexible working, with hybrid working as standard
- Structured professional development programmes
- Social club
- Fresh fruit delivered daily and weekly morning tea
- Collaborative and inclusive culture
Who are we?
AJ Park is the IP firm of choice in New Zealand and is part of the IPH Group of companies. We support our clients with intelligent action and are well respected both within the patent and trade mark profession and by the clients we work with.
We offer a rewarding career, an inclusive community, team spirit and opportunities to develop technically and personally.
Find out more about us here.