Date posted: 12/07/2021
Work type: Permanent
Role type: Patent Executive
If you’re inspired by brilliant and creative thinking, come and work with our team of IP experts and help protect and grow some of the world’s most exciting ideas and innovations.
Our Wellington patent team has a fulltime, permanent opportunity for a person with a natural curiosity and aptitude for understanding and working with scientific and technical subject matter. In this trainee patent attorney role, you'll be comfortable with chemistry, materials science, biochemistry, and/or molecular biology/biotechnology.
Executives provide or assist in providing AJ Park clients with outstanding client care. You will be involved in helping clients to navigate the best path to protect, commercialise, enforce, and defend their IP rights.
Executives are expected to take on increasing responsibility as they progress, and to develop skills in marketing and business development.
- Strong technical background
- Develops patent attorney skills
- Assists with client/associate work
- Assesses client invention proposals
- Prepares, files and prosecutes patent applications in NZ, Australia and internationally
- An interest in and enthusiasm for science and technology
- Excellent communication and lateral thinking skills
- The ability to make confident judgement calls
- A good eye for detail and an analytical and meticulous approach to your work
- The ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Meets financial targets – day book, WIP, billable and non-billable hours
- Lives the AJ Park values
- Develops an awareness of leadership qualities
- Forms good working relationships
- Participates in initiatives within the team and across the firm
Marketing and Business development
- Develops an awareness of clients’ business interests and the macroeconomy
- Participates in marketing, networking and promoting AJ Park externally
- Adheres to the AJ Park Quality Management Procedures
- Complies with conduct standards for patent attorney and/or of the legal profession
- Complies with AJ Park Health and Safety practices and procedures
- A strong commitment to internal and external relationships
- Maintains high quality personal standards and self-management
- Developing written and oral communication
- Ensures regular attendance at in-house and off-site seminars
- Keeps up to date with legal developments in the IP field
- Member of relevant professional organisations as appropriate
- Undertakes any other duties as reasonably required
About AJ Park
AJ Park is the IP firm of choice in New Zealand. We support our clients with ‘intelligent action’ and are well respected both within the patent attorney profession and by the clients we work with.
We offer a rewarding career, community and team spirit and opportunities to develop technically and personally.
Our people are talented, energetic and career-oriented. They come from a diverse range of backgrounds and disciplines including law, science and engineering. Our work environment is knowledge-based and we are committed to high standards of professionalism.
We are interested in intelligent, ambitious and enthusiastic people who want to work with the world's most innovative companies.
Visit www.ajpark.com/careers for more information.
Apply via the link below with a copy of your CV and covering letter.