With a career track record spanning over three decades, Colleen is a Consultant in AJ Parks trade mark team (previously Principal) and uses her considerable experience to advise key clients on their brand development, trade mark portfolio management, and global intellectual property (IP) protection strategies. She has worked with clients in a range of industry sectors such as FMCG, pharmaceuticals, insurance, finance, retail and fashion.
Colleen first joined AJ Park in the early 1980s. She trained as a patent attorney and went on to become the firm’s first female partner. She left after 17 years to raise her young children before taking on a part-time role at a boutique IP firm. After a decade managing the trade mark team of a large commercial law firm, she returned to AJ Park in 2014.
Pragmatic, down-to-earth and conscientious, Colleen has never been afraid of hard work and has reaped the rewards in her career path and working relationships.
An ability to build strong, lasting relationships with her clients has seen Colleen work with several generations of business owners from the same family. That ongoing involvement with her clients means they not only connect on a business level but also develop long friendships.
‘Building enduring relationships and working with great people is really rewarding. Helping my clients is what I’m most proud of in my career. One of my passions is helping SMEs make good decisions about their brand management—maximising their options for protection within their budget. I love seeing those small businesses grow.’
Colleen's recent accolades include being:
- selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in New Zealand 2021 in the field of IP law
- singled out in the Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020rankings for her ‘long standing experience in the IP space’
- recognised by her peers as being amongst the world’s best and brightest IP practitioners in the WIPR Leaders 2020 handbook
- highlighted in the 2020 edition of the WTR 1000
- recommended in The Legal 500 2019 as being a ‘veteran trade mark specialist’.