AJ Park Law Limited, Auckland
A good listener with a practical outlook, Anton has become a trusted advisor for clients looking to protect and commercialise their innovations.
Anton joined AJ Park in 1994 after graduating from the University of Canterbury with a master’s degree in mechanical engineering. He gained his law degree from The University of Auckland in 2004.
Experienced in intellectual property (IP) protection strategies and conducting IP audits and due diligence for mechanical and manufacturing technology firms, Anton has a track record of helping exporters be successful both locally and internationally. Anton also works with organisations to establish policies and procedures to maximise the value of their IP. His clients come from diverse industries such as packaging, marine engineering, aviation, agritech, and medical technology.
'Helping specialist manufacturing companies build an IP strategy to achieve their goals is very rewarding. Many of my clients have successfully grown their business because of well-protected innovations.’
“Anton's been very helpful; he's guided me and given me good advice. We trust each other and I knew he'd understand what I had, which is important. I understood the products and the business end but not the patent process and how to go about protecting my product.
Trevor McCoid, Fleximower
A favourite aspect of Anton’s job is working with clever innovators and helping contribute to their commercialisation process. He prefers visiting his clients to learn about their business first-hand to see their factory in action. Anton is particularly proud of his start-up clients who have taken huge leaps of faith with new ideas, and shown passion, vision and drive to bring them to fruition.
It’s essential to understand a client’s business, their industry and their innovations and how IP laws worldwide can help provide greater returns. If one of those ingredients is missing, you can miss the mark. With over 20 years’ experience, it’s easy to spot the speed bumps often encountered when taking a new innovation to market. At AJ Park, we have people with a wide range of technical backgrounds, which enables us to build an appropriate team of expertise to work with our clients.
Anton’s recent industry accolades include being:
- named in the inaugural IAM Strategy 300 Global Leaders guide 2021
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2021 in the field of IP law
- named in The Legal 500’s Asia Pacific 2021 guide and elite ‘leading lawyers’ list
- rated a 'distinguished practitioner' in the asialaw Leading Lawyers 2021 edition
- named in the IAM Strategy 300 2020 as a world-leading IP strategist
- recognised by his peers as being amongst the world’s best and brightest IP practitioners in the WIPR Leaders 2020 handbook
- highlighted in the IAM Patent 1000 2020
- ranked as a patent star in New Zealand in Managing IP's IP Stars 2020.
Anton lectures in IP at the University of Auckland and Massey University, regularly speaks to industry groups and business incubators, and is a mentor in the ‘Business in the Community’ programme. He also speaks on IP at international conferences and events across Asia and Australia. In 2015, he developed and delivered the Asia Patent Attorneys Association’s (APAA) first ever 5-day long ‘Patent Surgery’ course, covering patent preparation, prosecution and strategy. Anton has been running this course since 2015 and has now trained over 120 patent attorneys on patent drafting. Anton has since been asked to lecture for World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) on patent drafting courses and has done so on four occasions now. He is also a co-author on the WIPO patent drafting manual exercise book.
Anton joined the Advisory Committee of APAA in November 2018 and was voted on as the APAA New Zealand group president in August 2019.
- ME (Mech), University of Canterbury (1994)
- LLB, University of Auckland (2004)
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand