Our team of experts can help you protect your trade secrets and confidential information to give you a competitive edge in your industry.
A trade secret is any confidential information that has a commercial value and gives a business or individual a commercial advantage over other businesses.
Trade secrets can cover many things including commercial, industrial or manufacturing methods, practices or processes. It can also include things like customer lists, formulas, recipes or business strategies.
Trade secrets do not require registration and can last indefinitely, as long as they are kept secret.
Why and when would I need to think about trade secrets?
Trade secrets can be used as a valuable business tool and may form an important part of your commercial advantage. Knowing what you have, who owns it, how it is being exploited or exposed to risk, should be evaluated and documented.
You should consider talking to our expert team if you:
- Have confidential information that gives your business an economic edge
- Have developed a process, method, practice, recipe, product, formula or other information that cannot be protected through other IP rights
- Need to decide how to protect your confidential information
- Want to disclose a trade secret or confidential information to other businesses you might be working with or are releasing a product into the market.
How can AJ Park help me?
Our people are experienced in working with clients to identify and protect their valuable trade secrets. We can assist you with:
- Assessing your business, confidential information, and advising what confidential information you should protect
- Recommending the best way to protect your confidential information
- Preparing measures to keep your confidential information secret including confidential agreements or clauses for your employees or other businesses, and
- Protecting or enforcing your trade secrets if another party has breached them.
If you need plain English advice on trade secrets, get in touch with one of our experts below.
Question about this service?
Just fill in the form below and we'll get right back to you.Get in touch
Need help deciding what service is right for you?
Use our innovative Discover IP tool to help guide you to the right service.Get Started
Meet our experts
Article \ 23 Jun 2020
The key issues to consider when entering into a product…
Product collaborations involve a range of intellectual property (IP) and other commercial issues. Where the collaboration involves one party producing a product…
\ 20 Sep 2019
AJ Park principal Kate McHaffie named one of the Top…
We are thrilled to announce that AJ Park principal Kate McHaffie has been named by Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) as one of…
Article \ 27 Jun 2019
An introduction to trade secrets
All too often, we see news stories of high-profile trade secrets disputes involving high legal fees, damage to reputation and, most importantly,…
Article \ 26 Jun 2019
Recent influx of intellectual property scam letters
Unfortunately, scam letters have always been an unwelcome reality in the world of intellectual property (IP). But we have recently noticed an…
Client story \ 26 Apr 2019
Staying ahead of the game
With close to an 80 percent win rate, the All Blacks is one of the most successful teams in sporting history; and…
Article \ 27 Nov 2018
Do confidentiality agreements with time limits protect your trade secrets?
A lot of clients, particularly those based in the US, ask us about confidentiality agreements that include a time limit on the…
Article \ 18 Sep 2018
Confidentiality agreements: Keep your secrets in the cone of silence
You don’t want others swiping your valuable ideas and running with them. But without the right confidentiality agreements in place, that’s exactly…
Get in touch
To get in touch with us, simply fill in the form below and we'll get right back to you.