AJ Park Law Limited, Wellington
Matt is a principal in AJ Park's engineering and information communication technology team specialising in protecting, registering and licensing patents in the computer and information technology fields. Matt is also a copyright specialist.
Matt is the co-chair of the Wellington engineering and information communication technology team. As part of this role, Matt:
- conducts patent novelty searches and freedom to operate searches and provides design around advice
- advises on novelty
- analyses possible patent infringement and provides risk assessment advice
- drafts patent specifications
- files and prosecutes patent applications in New Zealand and overseas
- conducts patent oppositions in New Zealand and overseas
- works with clients to review development projects and develop intellectual property (IP) protection strategies
- drafts and records patent assignments and other technology transfer agreements
- advises on patent restoration
- conducts patent due diligence
- identifies copyright rights, advises on copyright ownership strategies and copyright enforcement
- advises on performers' rights.
Matt advises corporations, start-up ventures and individuals throughout New Zealand and offshore.
Matt has been involved with a number of high profile cases, including obtaining international patent protection and licensing for medical imaging equipment and software-based diagnostic systems developed in New Zealand. He has also helped a number of large international computer companies to secure significant international patent portfolios and to protect groundbreaking new business intelligence solutions.
Matt's recent accolades include being:
- highlighted in the IAM Patent 1000 2020
- ranked as a patent star in New Zealand in Managing IP's IP Stars 2020
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in New Zealand 2021 in the field of IP law
- singled out in the Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020 rankings for his ‘well-respected patents practice, particularly within the technology and software industries’
- recommended for his experience handling matters relating to the IT sector, particularly issues relating to the licensing and protection of patents, as well as technology transfer agreements and copyright enforcement in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019.
Matt has presented at international IP conferences and often presents seminars to clients on patent issues. Matt is a frequent guest lecturer at Massey University and is a regular presenter at trade, export and computer conferences. A number of his articles and commentaries on software patents have been published in magazines and newspaper columns.
- BSc (Comp Sci), University of Otago (1991)
- MSc (Comp Sci), University of Otago (1995)
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington (2000)
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand