AJ Park Law Limited, Wellington
Matt is a principal in AJ Park's engineering and information communication technology team specialising in protecting, registering and licensing patents in the computer and information technology fields. Matt is also a copyright specialist.
Matt is the co-chair of the Wellington engineering and information communication technology team. As part of this role, Matt:
- conducts patent novelty searches and freedom to operate searches and provides design around advice
- advises on novelty
- analyses possible patent infringement and provides risk assessment advice
- drafts patent specifications
- files and prosecutes patent applications in New Zealand and overseas
- conducts patent oppositions in New Zealand and overseas
- works with clients to review development projects and develop intellectual property (IP) protection strategies
- drafts and records patent assignments and other technology transfer agreements
- advises on patent restoration
- conducts patent due diligence
- identifies copyright rights, advises on copyright ownership strategies and copyright enforcement
- advises on performers' rights.
Matt advises corporations, start-up ventures and individuals throughout New Zealand and offshore.
Matt has been involved with a number of high profile cases, including obtaining international patent protection and licensing for medical imaging equipment and software-based diagnostic systems developed in New Zealand. He has also helped a number of large international computer companies to secure significant international patent portfolios and to protect groundbreaking new business intelligence solutions.
Matt's recent accloades include being:
- listed in Managing Intellectual Property's 2019 IP Stars list of leading IP practitioners in New Zealand
- recommended for his experience handling matters relating to the IT sector, particularly issues relating to the licensing and protection of patents, as well as technology transfer agreements and copyright enforcement in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2020 in the field of IP law
- highlighted in the IAM Patent 1000 2019 as maintaining 'a laser focus on the software and IT space'.
Matt was highlighted in IAM Patent 1000 2018 as 'a guardian for several large computer corporations and a dab hand at negotiating complex licensing agreements.’
In 2018, Matt was ranked as a patent star in New Zealand in Managing IP Stars.
Matt was described in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018 as 'strong' in the fields of protecting, registering and licensing patents in the computer and information technology sectors.
In 2017, Matt was included in the Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017 guide as a noteable practitioner and was well regarded for advising key clients in the technology sector, including global technology giants and start-ups on patent protection and exploitation.
In 2017, Matt was also described as having a knack for enforcing industrial design and patent rights both locally and abroad in IAM Patent 1000 index.
Matt has presented at international IP conferences and often presents seminars to clients on patent issues. Matt is a frequent guest lecturer at Massey University and is a regular presenter at trade, export and computer conferences. A number of his articles and commentaries on software patents have been published in magazines and newspaper columns.
In 2015, Matt was listed as one of the world's leading patent professionals in the IAM Patent 1000 index, based on peer and client reviews, and is quoted as being known for his 'rigorous drafting' and for his 'cutting-edge expertise in cyber-physical systems and cloud computing.'
In 2013, Matt was selected by peers for inclusion in the Fifth Edition of Best Lawyers in New Zealand, in the practice areas of information technology and IP.
- BSc (Comp Sci), University of Otago (1991)
- MSc (Comp Sci), University of Otago (1995)
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington (2000)
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand