AJ Park Law Limited, Wellington
Teresa specialises in intellectual property law for biotechnological and pharmaceutical inventions.
Teresa joined AJ Park in 1988 and has been a partner since 1998. She specialises in patent and related intellectual property law for biotechnological and pharmaceutical inventions.
Teresa's role is to oversee the biotechnology and chemistry patents team in the Wellington office. In this role, she advises in all areas of patent practice including:
- identifying inventions
- providing patentability advice
- drafting patent specifications
- advising on and managing international filing programmes
- prosecuting national and international applications
- defending and investigating opposition proceedings
- identifying and providing strategic advice on freedom to operate issues.
Teresa uses her extensive knowledge and expertise to review and devise claims that maximise the scope for the protection of inventions in Australasia. She provides strategic input on different applications and their use to coordinate Australasian protection with other countries.
Teresa develops strategic intellectual property management plans and policies to match the commercial objectives for each of her clients. She develops and advises on the implementation of intellectual property capture, protection and exploitation programmes; and the development of an intellectual property culture for each organisation.
Teresa represents the Australasian patent interests of local research organisations and major overseas pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. She plays a strategic role in the management of their intellectual property portfolios.
Teresa was selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2019 in the field of intellectual property law.
In 2017, Teresa was ranked as a leading patent lawyer and women in business law expert in Expert Guides.
Teresa regularly presents seminars to clients and research organisations on biotechnology patent issues.
In 2013, Teresa was selected by peers for inclusion in the Fifth Edition of Best Lawyers in New Zealand, in the practice areas of biotechnology and intellectual property. Also in 2013, Teresa was once again selected for inclusion in the Who's Who Legal for life sciences.
- BSc (BioChem), Canterbury University (1987)
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington (1994)
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand