AJ Park Law Limited, Wellington
Thomas helps clients to maintain and enforce their intellectual property rights and to resolve disputes relating to those rights.
Thomas is a barrister and solicitor specialising in all areas of intellectual property, from protection and maintenance through to enforcement. His focus is on dispute resolution, whether by way of negotiation, mediation, or official resolution channels.
Named ‘one to watch’ by the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific and a ‘Rising Star’ by Asialaw Leading Lawyers, Thomas has represented clients at all levels of the New Zealand Courts from High Court through Supreme Court, and the New Zealand and Australian Intellectual Property Offices, as well as before the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center, and the New Zealand Dispute Resolution Service.
Thomas is a Council member for the New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys, a Committee member for the IPSANZ National and Trans-Tasman Committees, and the current IPSANZ Treasurer.
Before joining Baldwins (now AJ Park) in late 2010, Thomas was a researcher of human memory error and eyewitness testimony for the Innocence Project New Zealand and the Victoria University School of Psychology. In late 2012, he was seconded as a copyright and media policy consultant at the Ministry for Culture and Heritage.
Thomas’ recent industry accolades include being:
- highlighted among top individuals in World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 2021 for enforcement and litigation
- named in the 2019 edition of the Legal 500 as a Key Lawyer in New Zealand intellectual property
- named in both the 2019 and 2020/21 editions of Managing IP's Rising Stars, produced by the IP Stars research team.
He is absolutely fantastic. Young, incredibly smart, his legal analysis is great. Thomas is an exceptional lawyer. His advice is considered, sound and relevant. He is like the captain of a ship in stormy waters; calm and providing clear guidance at all times. His expert guidance in invaluable.- WTR 1000 2021
Thomas is locally known due to his enthusiasm and support for local artists and artisans – from those involved in food and beverage goods and services, to those in the art, film and music industries. He is passionate about helping creative people and businesses.
- BA (Psychology), Victoria University of Wellington (2010)
- BSc (Hons) (Psychology), Victoria University of Wellington (2010)
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington (2010)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)