Paul assists clients to effectively handle contentious intellectual property issues.
Paul advises clients on actual or potential legal disputes, including in relation to registered intellectual property (IP) rights, copyright, and consumer and marketing law. He helps his clients to develop and implement appropriate strategies to effectively manage and resolve disputes, whether by negotiation, litigation or other dispute resolution methods.
Paul appears on behalf of his clients in the Courts and in IP office hearings. Though based in our Auckland office, Paul travels regularly to work with clients in Wellington and Christchurch.
Paul has more than 19 years’ experience in IP disputes, including five years at a leading general commercial firm in New Zealand and at a major international firm based in London.
Paul’s recent industry accolades include being:
- highlighted in the 2020 and 2021 IAM Patent 1000
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2021 and 2022 in the field of IP law.
Paul enjoys meeting a diverse variety of people, whether through his work across various industries, through family activities with his wife and children, or over a good meal with a glass of beer or wine.
- LLB (Hons), University of Otago (2000)
- BSc, University of Otago (2000)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales
Paul Johns's insights
Article \ 1 Oct 2021
Divorce, art and copyright
In this article written by Asia IP, Paul Johns (AJ Park Principal) discusses a recent High Court decision involving divorce, art and…
\ 3 Aug 2021
AJ Park’s continued recognition for excellence and expertise
We’re pleased to be named amongst the very best in the most recent rankings for Best Lawyers, IAM Patent 1000, Managing IP…
Article \ 23 Mar 2021
Comparative advertising and IP
Comparative advertising can be an extremely effective business tool.
When done correctly, comparative advertising can:
enable consumers to make informed decisions about their…