Wes specialises in the development and commercialisation of patent and registered design portfolios.
Wes works primarily in patents and also advises on copyright and registered design protection. He specialises in drafting patent specifications, providing validity and infringement advice, preparing license and other technology transfer agreements, and advising on intellectual property portfolio management and IP strategy.
Wes has technical expertise in the electrical, electronics, communications and software fields. His electrical engineering degree studies also involved courses in mechanical and structural engineering subjects.
Wes’ clients include Phitek Systems in the aviation industry and Auckland UniServices, the commercial arm of New Zealand’s largest university. UniServices is a world leader in the development of contactless power transfer technologies, particularly wireless vehicle charging.
Wes first practiced in the intellectual property field in 1989. He joined Baldwins (now AJ Park) in 2002 and became a partner of the firm in 2006. He led the Baldwins partnership as Chairman from 2015, and joined the AJ Park board when AJ Park acquired Baldwins in 2020.
Wes’ recent industry accolades include being:
- highlighted in the 2020 and 2021 IAM Patent 1000 index
- ranked as a patent star in New Zealand in Managing IP's IP Stars 2020/21
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2021 in the field of IP law
- listed in The Legal 500’s Asia Pacific 2020 guide as a ‘leading individual’
- named a global leader for patents by Who’s Who Legal 2020.
- named a national and global leader for patents in the 2021 edition of Who's Who Legal
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2022
- BE (Elec), University of Auckland (1988)
- LLB, University of Auckland (2000)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Qualified Trust Account Supervisor
Wes Jones's insights
\ 3 Aug 2021
AJ Park’s continued recognition for excellence and expertise
We’re pleased to be named amongst the very best in the most recent rankings for Best Lawyers, IAM Patent 1000, Managing IP…
Article \ 30 Jul 2021
Upcoming changes to make amends for Australian designs
The Australian Government are progressing a programme of reforms to ensure the Australian design rights system is fit for purpose and to…
\ 9 Jul 2021
AJ Park maintains Managing IP’s “IP Star’ Tier 1 rankings
As a reflection of AJ Park’s high standard in the Patent and Trade mark space, we’re pleased to announce that we’ve maintained…
Article \ 18 Jun 2021
Australian innovation patent system approaches the finish line
The Australian innovation patent system is being phased out, with key changes taking place on 25 August 2021 (AEST). Steps must be…
Article \ 29 Apr 2021
Managing intangible assets for exponential growth
Intangible assets do not occupy physical space. However, they have the potential to provide high value and exponential growth when identified and…
Article \ 3 Dec 2020
Australian High Court rejects the implied licence doctrine: establishes exhaustion…
The High Court of Australia has recently passed down a landmark 4-3 majority decision in Calidad Pty Ltd v Seiko Epson Corporation…
Article \ 30 Nov 2020
Medicinal cannabis in New Zealand – a potted summary of…
The Misuse of Drugs (Medicinal Cannabis) Regulations 2019 came into effect from 1 April 2020. These regulations establish a scheme for licencing…