Wes specialises in the development and commercialisation of patent and registered design portfolios.
Wes works primarily in patents and also advises on copyright and registered design protection. He specialises in drafting patent specifications, providing validity and infringement advice, preparing license and other technology transfer agreements, and advising on intellectual property portfolio management and IP strategy.
Wes has technical expertise in the electrical, electronics, communications and software fields. His electrical engineering degree studies also involved courses in mechanical and structural engineering subjects.
Wes’ clients include Phitek Systems in the aviation industry and Auckland UniServices, the commercial arm of New Zealand’s largest university. UniServices is a world leader in the development of contactless power transfer technologies, particularly wireless vehicle charging.
Wes first practiced in the intellectual property field in 1989. He joined Baldwins (now AJ Park) in 2002 and became a partner of the firm in 2006. He led the Baldwins partnership as Chairman from 2015, and joined the AJ Park board when AJ Park acquired Baldwins in 2020.
Wes’ recent industry accolades include being:
- highlighted in the 2020 and 2021 IAM Patent 1000 index
- ranked as a patent star in New Zealand in Managing IP's IP Stars 2020/21
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2021 in the field of IP law
- listed in The Legal 500’s Asia Pacific 2020 guide as a ‘leading individual’
- named a global leader for patents by Who’s Who Legal 2020.
- named a national and global leader for patents in the 2021 edition of Who's Who Legal
- selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2023 Best Lawyers in New Zealand™ in the field of IP law, and Information Technology law, and Technology law.
- BE (Elec), University of Auckland (1988)
- LLB, University of Auckland (2000)
- Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Qualified Trust Account Supervisor
Wes Jones's insights
Article \ 31 Mar 2022
When testing your invention can invalidate your patent
In some cases testing your invention can invalidate your patent. AJ Park experts John Foulkes and Wes Jones highlight two cases where patents were challenged on the grounds of prior disclosure including prior use.
Client story \ 3 Mar 2022
Bringing Aotearoa’s best ideas to the world
Bringing Aotearoa’s best ideas to the world. For over 30 years, UniServices has played a unique role injecting many of Aotearoa’s best ideas into the wider world.