AJ Park Law Limited, Auckland
John is passionate about finding the best intellectual property (IP) strategy to help his clients achieve their goals.
Ethos and values
Passionate, energetic and honest are the words that best describe John Hackett. With boundless energy and enthusiasm, John is passionate about finding the best course to help his clients achieve their goals. However, he also wants them to be fully aware of the implications of any decisions they take, so he’s not afraid to tell clients things they may not necessarily want to hear.
Since joining AJ Park in 1999, John is justifiably proud of the reputation the firm has built, both locally and overseas.
‘I think what sets AJ Park apart is our legacy as the leading IP firm in New Zealand. I do a lot of overseas business development and get fantastic feedback on the services provided by AJ Park and our staff from people I meet all over the world.’
It’s not surprising that John embraces every new day and looks forward to coming to work. As a senior consultant and trade mark specialist, he loves helping clients achieve their strategic goals by registering their trade mark rights globally.
It’s about providing a great service that shows you care for the client, are interested in their business, and want to see them succeed. I find it so rewarding working with companies that are starting out and where I can strategically assist by preparing a trade mark protection plan. This will initially involve protection in New Zealand, followed by a global branding strategy where the company is looking at developing an export market.
Among his high profile clients are Les Mills, Manuka Health, Antipodes Water, Villa Maria Wines, and Te Mata Wines. John enjoys seeing his clients’ businesses grow over time. Manuka Health New Zealand Ltd produced its first jar of honey in 2006. The company now exports its honey products around the world and is diversifying into other areas, including Manuka honey-based wound dressings.
One of the more interesting projects John has worked on is the protection of the ZESPRI trade mark. The Kiwifruit Marketing Board (as it was then known) came to him looking to develop a truly global brand. Extensive global searches revealed that ZESPRI was free to use and register, and John helped the organisation protect the brand worldwide in more than 130 countries.
John's recent accolades include being:
- included in Managing Intellectual Property's 2019 IP Stars list of leading IP practitioners in New Zealand
- identified as ‘another popular choice among Kiwi heavy-hitters—Manuka Health New Zealand and ZESPRI being two examples—for a holistic approach to brand protection’ in the 2019 edition of the WTR 1000
- listed in the Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders: Global Elite 2019 directory for trade marks
- listed in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 for his long-standing reputation as ‘a big figure in IP’ with one source adding that John ‘knows everyone and is very good at being a rainmaker’
- selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best LawyersTM in New Zealand 2020 in the field of IP law
- named in World Intellectual Property Review's WIPR Leaders 2019 handbook.
John writes regularly for New Zealand and international publications. He has attended overseas conferences including INTA since the mid-1980s.
In 2002 John was awarded a Rotary International Paul Harris Fellowship. John is a founding member of IP Trek. IP Trek is a group of IP lawyers who go on adventure hikes around the world.